Michigan Safety Conference
2024 Sandra s. Irion Distinguished Service to the Michigan Safety Conference Award Nomination Form
The Sandra S. Irion Distinguished Service to the Michigan Safety Conference Award is the highest individual honor that the Michigan Safety Conference can bestow to recognize achievement and to pay tribute to outstanding accomplishments of current or former members of the Board of Directors, members of Standing Committees and Divisions in the further development of the Michigan Safety Conference and the safety and/or health profession. Applications must be submitted by a member of the Michigan Safety Conference General Committee.
To be eligible for the 2024 Darryl C. Hill Safety Professional of the Year Award, the nominee must:
- Nominee must be a current member or former member of the Board of Directors, member of a Standing Committee or Division and not have received this award in the past.
- Not be a former winner of the Sandy S. Irion Distinguished Service to the Michigan Safety Conference award.
- Application must be submitted by a member of the Michigan Safety Conference General Committee.
- Current members of the Executive Committee are not eligible for this award.
- Nominations will not be accepted posthumously; awards will be made if death occurs after the nomination has been approved.
- No evidence of breach of ethical or legal standards, laws, or practices that would potentially diminish the integrity of the award or damage the reputation of the Michigan Safety Conference.
Judging will be based on, by not limited to, the following criteria:
Knowledge/Contributions to the Conference (internal):
- Thorough knowledge of the operational aspects of the conference.
- Committee chairperson, division chair, board member, (former) officer.
- Professional contributions to advance the conference development.
- Conference speaker/panelist.
Conference Leadership/Improvements (internal):
- Leadership in establishment, maintenance, and improvement of conference, it’s divisions and/or standing committees.
- Special projects.
- Ad hoc committees/task forces.
Conference Ambassadorship (external):
- Advance conference development through work with allied groups and/or other professional organizations.
- Recruiting volunteers, sponsors, speakers, exhibitors.
- Providing the headquarters office with leads for follow-up.
- Sharing slides regarding the conference during external speaking engagements.
- Inviting MSC representatives to events/meetings where the conference can be promoted.
- Marketing the conference through other avenues such as social media, podcasts, handing out MSC literature on visits with clients or at trade shows, etc.
- Endorsements/support of the nomination in the form of letters/emails may also be submitted (Employers, associates, MSC General Committee members, attendees, etc.)
Technical Expertise/Other Achievements (external):
- Demonstrated technical expertise in the broad field of safety/health/environmental or closely related field.
- Other personal achievements related to safety and health such as programs, new procedures or systems developed during professional career.
Petitions for nomination must be submitted in writing to the Awards and Honors Committee and postmarked no later than January 31, 2024, to be considered that year.
The nominee’s achievements must be listed on the attached petition; other pages of information may be attached. The petition must be accompanied by the following:
- A single page resume of the nominee’s professional background.
- A written description of the nominee’s job or position (preferably on organization stationery).
Past Award Recipients
Each year, the conference gives its’ highest award to a conference volunteer for exceptional service to the Michigan Safety Conference. Sandra S. Irion’s name was added to the award in 2008, at which time she retired from the Michigan Safety Conference after 48+ years of service as the conference’s only staff person. The deadline for submission is January 31, 2024.
Sheila E. Ide
David T. Woods
Cynthia Ostrowski, MS, CIH, FAIHA
Mark Jones, CIH, CSP
David Lerner, CSP
Janet Dobryden, ARM, CSRM
John Gleichman, CSP
AJ Hale, Jr.
Joe Galusha, CHSP, CIE
Darryl C. Hill, CSP
Therese M. Waters, PT
William Haynes, Jr.